This is the 18-foot-tall bronze centerpiece at Snow Canyon Parkway-Snow Canyon Drive intersection roundabout in The City of Ivins, Utah.
Facing west is the figure of a Native American boy in a crouched position, holding a flute in one hand and gazing at a butterfly perched on his other hand. This figure is a tribute to the Paiute Indians, the earliest residents of the Ivins area, and a statement that music and art transcend time and culture.
Facing south stands a farmer beside his plow, representing the early settlers of Ivins. These determined and hardworking farmers dug a canal to bring irrigation water from Gunlock to the Santa Clara Bench and created the township that has become the modern-day city of Ivins.
Facing Snow Canyon State Park is the figure of a hiker sitting on a rock, pondering the beauty that surrounds him. He represents health, fitness and the outdoor recreation for which Ivins and all of Southern Utah are becoming increasingly well known.
In the center of the sculpture stands a painter, brush in hand, reaching upwards as if she were painting the sky. She is a tribute to the thriving art community of Kayenta.
"Allies in War, Partners in Peace"
National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institute, Washington D.C. Courtesy of the Oneida Indian Nation, NY
Allies in War, Partners in Peace
Sculpture Celebrates Friendships Forged in the Past, Cemented in the Present and Promised for the Future
Visitors to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C. are encouraged to begin their tour on the fourth floor, the level named for the Oneida Indian Nation. Featured on this top floor is a pause area and in its confines is the statue “Allies in War, Partners in Peace,” a bronzed embodiment of the friendship that was forged between the Oneida Nation and the United States during the Revolutionary War.
The 19-½ foot, 2,200 lb. statue created by Utah-based sculptor Edward Hlavka depicts Oneida Chief Shenendoah and an Oneida woman, Polly Cooper, along with Gen. George Washington. The statue is a commemoration of the bonds between two nations – the Oneida and the United States.
“We wanted a statue that would tell the story of how the Oneidas embraced the colonists’ cause of freedom, fighting beside their colonial friends and aiding them in their time of need,” said Keller George, Wolf Clan Representative to the Oneida Nation’s Council, and a member of the board of trustees for the museum. “We also wanted symbols of importance in our culture to be allotted a presentation point, and I think the artist captured all these elements, telling our story as we have told it for generations.”
Oneidas fought alongside the colonists in key battles of the war, including Oriskany and Saratoga. The alliance was further cemented when a group of Oneidas walked from their home in Central New York to Valley Forge, a journey of more than 400 miles, during the winter of 1777-78, carrying life-saving corn to feed the starving soldiers. With them traveled Polly Cooper, who taught the soldiers how to prepare the corn. When the Oneida men returned to their homes, Polly Cooper remained and aided the troops. She would accept no payment for her services, but did accept a gift of a bonnet and shawl from Martha Washington. The shawl is still in existence today.
Shenendoah, also known as Skenandoah, is held in great esteem by the Nation and holds a deserving place in the statue. He was the wampum keeper and the inaugurator of government-to-government agreements. In addition, he played a major role in the Oneida Nation’s decision to side with the colonists during the Revolutionary War. One reason Shenendoah chose to fight with the Americans was due to the friendship that existed between himself and the Rev. Samuel Kirkland, who was a missionary to the Oneidas and the founder of Hamilton College in Upstate New York. The friendship was so deep that Shenendoah asked to be buried next to Kirkland in the cemetery of the college.
One of Shenendoah’s prized possessions was a silver pipe given to him between 1807 and 1810 when he was nearly 100 years old, by New York State Gov. Daniel Tompkins. The pipe in the statue tucked inside Shenendoah’s belt is similar to the aforementioned pipe. The gift symbolized the good will that existed between the two men. The engraving on the pipe’s bowl reads, “Presented by Governor Tompkins to Skenandoah.”
Shenendoah is wearing a traditional headdress in the statue, a kasto:w4. The Oneidas’ kasto:w4 has two feathers straight up and one down, differentiating it from the headdresses of the other nations of the confederacy.
As depicted, Washington is holding a Wampum Belt, which symbolizes an agreement between the U.S. and the Oneida Nation, and acknowledges that neither will interfere in the internal affairs of the other. During the Revolutionary War, Gen. George Washington asserted that “[t]he Oneidas have manifested the strongest attachment to us throughout the dispute.”
A white pine tree looms in the background high above Washington, Shenendoah and Polly Cooper. The white pine bears significance to the Oneida Nation and the other nations of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Cayuga and Tuscarora. The Peacemaker united the warring nations with his message of the Great Law of Peace, unearthing the white pine tree and burying the weapons of war beneath its roots. A hatchet, war club and additional instruments of war are buried under the tree in the sculpture, signifying this event. The roots of the pine tree are also visible and extend in the four directions, welcoming others to embrace peace and live under the branches of the tree in harmony.
And high atop the branches of the formidable pine an eagle is perched, ready to warn the nations of approaching danger. Five bound arrows, symbolizing the union of the nations of the confederacy, are shown in the back of the work. Also in the tree is a rock, which was used by the Oneidas to mark boundary lines.
Several icons of the Nation are also embedded in the statue. The turtle, wolf and bear have a dominant place in the statue as they represent the three clans, determined through the mother’s lineage, of the Nation. The Three Sisters — the sustainers of life — corn, beans and squash are also represented in the intricately detailed work.
In the back of the statue a little girl is rendered clutching a no-face doll. The child represents the future, the seventh generation to come. The no-face doll’s story is an allegory told by the Oneidas to teach children about the foibles of vanity. The hawk in the tree, according to legend, absconded with the doll’s face, after she consistently marveled at her own beauty, despite repeated warnings by the Creator to not indulge in such vain behavior.
Etched across the base of the sculpture is the Oneida belt. The belt is comprised of six squares joined together, each square representing one of the nations of the confederacy.
“The sculpture is so rich in history and Iroquois aesthetic that it should thrill many audiences,” said Gerald McMaster, Ph.D., director’s special assistant for mall exhibitions/deputy assistant director for cultural resources at the museums opening. “Already various people have marveled at it. It is so rich in detail from the story of the Oneidas’ relation with Gen. Washington through to the cultural content. We’ll have to ensure that an interactive display is nearby to point out these many, many details. I’m always so amazed by how rich our cultures are that all the Oneidas should be so very proud of their contribution to this country, both historically and culturally.”
In 2006, a monument was dedicated to Colonel Rescorla at the museum. It depicts him in his prime as a young Infantry platoon leader guiding the way in combat, his M-16 rifle with bayonet attached ready for use. Convinced that the Twin Towers would one day be targeted in a terror attack by air, Colonel (Ret) Rick Rescorla – a Vietnam hero and retired Infantry officer – cautiously prepared for the 9/11 attacks and was able to lead 2,700 people to safety from the World Trade Center before being killed as he returned into the South Tower to continue rescue efforts.
Rescorla, who at the time of the attacks was serving as Vice President of Security for Morgan Stanley Dean Witter, frequently insisted the banking firm run drills on how to get thousands of staff from the company’s offices – which covered 40 floors of the South Tower and a site nearby – out as quickly as possible. As his fears came true, Rescorla’s training drills helped save thousands of lives that fateful day on September 11, 2001. He fought to ensure his staff’s safety until the very end and was last seen going back into the South Tower to rescue the remaining victims before it collapsed. However, Colonel Rescorla’s tale of bravery began long before that. Born and raised in Cornwall, England, he began his military career when he left school at the age of 16 by joining the British paratroopers and serving as an intelligence officer. By 24 years old, he commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army and was preparing to deploy to Vietnam. He would return with a Silver Star for his bravery and leadership during the battles of LZ X-Ray and LZ Albany.
"Samuel Davis Sturgis (June 11, 1822 – September 28, 1889) was an American military officer who served in the Mexican-American War, as a Union general in the American Civil War, and later in the Indian Wars.
Colonel Samuel D. Sturgis, for whom the town of Sturgis is named, came from a military family that included officers who had served in the American Revolution and the War of 1812. He graduated from West Point in 1846 and was promoted to the rank of Major General during the Civil War. He commanded the famed Seventh U. S. Cavalry from May 6, 1869, until his retirement in 1886. One of his sons was killed in the historic Battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876.
Helen Keller in Statuary Hall, Congress
The statue by Edward Hlavka depicts a moment made famous in the biographical play and movie “The Miracle Worker”, It shows Keller as a seven-year-old girl wearing a pinafore over her dress.
She stands at an ivy-entwined water pump with her right hand on the pump handle and her left beneath the spout to feel the flow of the water. Her expression of astonishment shows the moment when she and Annie Sullivan first communicated, by touch, the word "water."
On the front of the statue's base, above the name "Helen Keller," is a relief image of Ivy Green, the Keller family estate, accompanied by explanatory text. On the proper left and right sides are, respectively, a statement about the significance of her college graduation and a quotation from Keller about Annie Sullivan’s importance to her life.
The pedestal is clad with panels of Alabama White Marble. On the front is a bronze plaque bearing another quotation: "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." The inscriptions appear in both raised letters and Braille characters.
Helen Adams Keller was born on June 27, 1880, in Tuscumbia, Alabama. When she was 19 months old, an illness (possibly scarlet fever or meningitis), left her deaf, blind and unable to speak. From her childhood teacher and life-long companion, Annie Sullivan, she learned to communicate by touch, Braille, and the use of a special typewriter; in 1890 a teacher from a Boston school for the deaf taught her to speak. She attended the Cambridge School for Young Ladies and then entered Radcliffe College, from which she graduated with honors in 1904
Settling outside Boston, Keller and Sullivan collaborated on Helen's autobiography” The Story of My Life” Soon, encouraged by Sullivan's husband, Keller embraced a variety of social causes, including woman suffrage. She lectured and wrote in support of these causes as well as to call attention to the plight of the physically handicapped. Following World War II, she and her secretary, Polly Thompson, traveled abroad to support the blind.
She died on June 1, 1968, in Westport, Connecticut; her ashes are interred at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.
Freedom Eagle Monument
The Freedom Eagle Monument at the Southern Utah Veterans Home in Ivins is a 10-foot bronze statue of an eagle soaring gracefully in flight above a sandstone pillar rising almost 20 feet.
The monument is a symbol of the freedom all Americans enjoy and a beacon of pride for the residents of the Southern Utah Veterans Home, who have fought and sacrificed greatly.
Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device